Monday, February 15, 2010

Netflix didn't see this coming...and it's too late for Blockbuster (sorry)

The future of movie rentals is Redbox for SEVERAL reasons.
(Netflix won't die, but only b/c streaming video into our living room will become their main distribution channel)

1. Fees – No late fees, just easy to understand charges per day.
2. Internet based system – you can reserve your movie b4 you pick it up by going to the on-line store and you’re GUARANTEED to have your move waiting for you.
3. Payment process – they already have your payment info so it very quick and easy to pay for your purchases
4. Location(S) – I put a big S because there are 6 Redboxes in my not very big community. The fact that they all talk to each other makes me very happy. People hate that stores don’t let you return movies to other locations.
5. Convenience – 24 hours a day, usually very close to a parking spot – That’s huge!
6. Selection – They have great movies
7. Web site – their web site is easy to navigate and they add value when you visit by giving good reviews from honest reviewers instead of just trying to sell me a movie.
8. Smart – they send me txt msgs and emails to remind me of new releases and give me free movie coupons. The first night is free of course…I fall for it all the time.
9. Red – Firetrucks anyone? They stand out b/c of their color
10. Function – They actually work – the layout/ interface of the machine is VERY simple and easy to use.
11. Advertising – I’ve never seen an ad for Redbox – they put their machines in the right locations (sounds like real estate 101 to me) and that is their advertising.
12. Packaging – Their system for packaging the movies is slick. They cut past the advertising and give me a package that works (and if I lose the packaging then I can buy a new one for $1 AT the machine so I can stillr return my movie.
13. Waiting – I don’t wait for movies I want. I don’t have to pay $9 a month to get them mailed to me and wait 2 days, I can get on-line and pick it up at locations I’m going to be at anyway! I reserve all my movies ahead of time on-line so I ofter cut the line after telling everyone “I reserved mine on-line so it’ll take me 30 seconds for my movie to pop out, can I cut?” And they’re so grateful that I told them that you can reserve movies on-line that I don’t have to wait in line 99% of the time. Lastly, they do get movies fairly quickly so you don’t have to wait that long to get the new releases.

And that’s why the future of DVD rental is Redbox – Sorry stores…stop paying rent and trying to sell candy and buy a RedBox…

Posted via email from Thoughts that matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment